|Dutch-oven apple crisp || ||
Recipe type: dessert
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
This easy to prepare dessert can be the star of a camp-out. Juicy apples tossed in lemon are topped with a flour-oats-cinnamon crust (The recipe is adapted from the Lodge cast iron booklet – I have made some small modifications)
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray
- Apple Mixture:
- 10 cups (equals about 10-12 apples) apples, diced (no need to peel them)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Topping Mixture:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Combine all of the ingredients for the apple mixture in a bowl.
- In another bowl, cut the butter into the flour and stir in the remaining topping ingredients.
- Spray the interior of a camp Dutch oven with cooking spray or wipe with vegetable oil.
- Spread the apple mixture in the bottom of the camp Dutch oven. Top with the topping mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F by placing 8 coals under the camp Dutch oven and 16 coals on top of the lid. (NOTE: Resist the temptation of putting the Dutch oven directly over the fire…it WILL burn the sugars!!!)
- Continue cooking until the apples are cooked and the topping is brown (you will have to check every 15-20 minutes). Serve warm.
Recipe by Z Tasty Life at http://www.ztastylife.com/2011/10/a-magical-camping-trip-spiedini-meat-bread-kebabs-dutch-oven-apple-crisp.html