love is in the air: home-made “Baci”
|January 17, 2012||Posted by ameliaps under chocolate, dessert, gifts|
When I was over in Italy over the holidays I ate way too many chocolate “Baci”. These hazelnut and chocolate “kisses” are packaged individually in a starry silver wrapper and come with a love quote. They are every Italian lovers’ favorite gift but they are wonderful at every occasion. So I thought…why not re-create them at home.
They make a wonderful gift for a friend or lover, especially if you add a hand-written letter. With February approaching, love is definitively in the air…
UPDATE: I was filmed recently by the Atlanta TV channel 11 making these chocolate. Watch the VIDEO here or below:
|Homemade Baci (with Nutella and hazelnuts)||
- 100 gr. (~1 cup) whole hazelnuts
- Half of a 13 oz. (375 gr.) Nutella jar = about 7 oz. (200 gr., about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup (40 gr.) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 oz. (160 gr.) good quality dark chocolate
- Place 20 whole hazelnuts aside.
- Chop the rest of hazelnuts into “granella” (small pieces) and place in a bowl with the Nutella and cocoa powder. Mix well until incorporate it to form a smooth dough. You can use a blender but I prefer a fork and my hands.
- Form 20 balls and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place a whole hazelnut in the middle of every ball.
- Place the sheet in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes (or a few hours in the refrigerator).
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave (a minute or two on high, stirring in between)
- Dip the chilled “baci” into melted chocolate, using two small forks then place them again on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Allow them to dry a few minutes. Wrap as desired and accompany with a love note.